Forum: Vue

Subject: "Masking" in Vue 4???

kruzr opened this issue on Oct 03, 2001 ยท 12 posts

Varian posted Thu, 04 October 2001 at 2:49 AM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?Form.ShowMessage=352452

***Let's say I had a terrain in Vue, & I had one of the native blended textures applied to it. Now, I would like to maybe mask off a small section or two, or maybe three & apply an area of rock texture or sand texture or maybe have a separate section of grassy texture on a sandy terrain*** Well, you can absolutely use different materials on the same object, like a terrain in your example. Vue has a simple setting for "Mixed Materials" and that's where you'd begin, then make adjustments for altitude and slope. You can put a sandy shoreline alongside a forested wood that leads into a rocky precipice. Or you can use the same technique to create snow-covered tree branches or algae-covered rocks or to put moss on the north side of tree trunks. Some while back, Mike posted some great images to illustrate the basic process, at the URL. Also, check the Vue free stuff for a material called "Whole Mountain" by Bloodsong. You can download it and apply it to a terrain and see the process in action. :)