Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Poser 11 Sneak Peek

nerd opened this issue on Jul 13, 2015 ยท 554 posts

bagginsbill posted Wed, 15 July 2015 at 5:29 PM

With that in mind, how much of Poser's perceived "deficiencies", focusing on Firefly, are due more to the deficiencies of content creators or the host of what could be considered "sub-standard" products being offered for it? Products that do not make use of the full capabilities of Poser and Firefly?

Let me start by saying I think there are valid criticisms of Firefly - I've found and reported my share of "artifacts" and deficiencies. Almost every time I talk about glass I have to explain what we can't do that is obvious to even my wife, who could not care less what renderer we're all using. Some of these problems I have no way to work around, other than "just don't even try to do that." Yet I manage to make some decent images, even with glass and liquids. Having said that - my answer is Yes! Yes, some content creators are variously lazy and ignorant - take your pick. They either don't have the skills or the knowledge and fail to acquire either. I don't understand why I see these in the store. I won't name names, but some of them are famous.

Conversely, some do take the lessons learned and trouble themselves to put a Fresnel_Blend into their shaders, or maybe to run EZSkin since Snarly and I both made all that tech free for commercial use - don't even mention us, you're welcome.

I don't think it serves any real purpose to ask the inferiors to stop, nor even to offer unsolicited advice. Nor does it serve any purpose to demand that the stores throw them out so we can all stop being embarrassed. Some people are just not wired for excellence. They don't get it and they are upset by those who pursue it. When some people vocally object to such thoughts as mine by saying realism isn't everything and I should just stop being an elitist, I understand that my point of view is everything to me but not to most people. I could go and become a Blenderhead - nothing stops me. But something is fun about being in this pond with these fish.

The stupid arguments about stupid stuff do dissuade me though. Sometimes I take a break, and then Pumeco wonders if I'm off doing something useful and brilliant. Well - yes - I'm making money.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)