Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Poser 11 Sneak Peek

nerd opened this issue on Jul 13, 2015 · 554 posts

bantha posted Sun, 19 July 2015 at 3:46 AM

I want to add some thoughts here.

If Poser 11 wants to incorporate the same pattern generator nodes as in FireFly, they will either have to add those nodes to Cycles or use the Open Shading Language to add those nodes to Cycle renders. The first option is probably way too much work, but the second option means that (right now) GPU rendering is not really possible.

Please keep in mind that SuperFly will need to work with the existing materials, since many Poser users are not used to repair their shaders. People buy scenes here on Renderosity and other marketplaces, scenes with many different materials on dozens of objects. They probably want to be able to use these scenes, not recreate every material on it. The most effective way to make this possible, in my opinion, is OSL. Please remember how long it took for many people to switch to FireFly from the old P4 renderer. If activating GPU means that you will have to change just about every other shader to Cycles standards, who will do that for a big Stonemason scene? People will just tell that SuperFly is broken if it isnt able to handle this kind of stuff, if I'm not mistaken.   

And, by the way, I use Cycles a lot these days, I really like it's features. When working in Blender, I usually do test rendes on the GPU, with reduced textures. But for finals, with SSS and full blown textures, I use CPU rendering almost exclusively. 

For those who ask for GPU renderig - It's not difficult to get Poser stuff to Blender, it's just work to make the shaders work in Cycles. Try some skin shaders, there is really awesome stuff out there for cycles. If you find a skin shader which looks great and renders fast in GPU mode, drop me a line. The render times I had for SSS on GPU are comparable to my CPU render times, with my rather old GTX 650 TI. You will have to redo the shaders anyway if you plan to use GPU rendering, so do that in Blender. And don't forget to reduce the texures, otherwhise your objects may show a bright pink. That's the way Cycles shows you that it could not use the image file of the shader, probably because it did not fit in the memory of the GPU.

A ship in port is safe; but that is not what ships are built for.
Sail out to sea and do new things.
-"Amazing Grace" Hopper

Avatar image of me done by Chidori