Forum: Community Center

Subject: Bag of Hammers

Fringewood opened this issue on Aug 18, 2015 ยท 24 posts

Fringewood posted Sat, 05 September 2015 at 11:26 AM

One thing I have noticed is that modo users as a whole avoid this site, and modo has been my primary focus for years. My secondary studios, Lightwave and C4D, which I use primarily for specific clients, are also not heavily drawing their users here. So there is really nothing holding my loyalty here any longer. As this site deteriorates, as it has been doing for years, so does my interest in it.

My 3D library on hard drive, which began back in the 90's, is massive. I already have most everything I need to assemble scenes from content that others made. And I'll as often make what I need, instead of hunting for it elsewhere, as long as it's not too time consuming. And a lot of scenes that I create now are 100% from scratch. I don't amass content as I once did. The collecting habit for me now is pretty much a waste of time and drive space.

I will still occasionally download a Poser archive from the net because they use quadded OBJ as the base. But I am more prone to go for OBJ that hasn't been Poserized. And I like FBX too, which is modo import friendly more often than not. There are other sources online that are so much easier to search for quality content in these formats, both free and paid.

There is a lot of 3D content for which I have no use, Max, Maya, DS, Vue, Carrara, and so forth, because exporting to a format I can comfortably use is either financially prohibitive, or I don't want to do business with their companies because of policies with which I do not agree. The sites that draw my attention are those which allow me to easily ignore these formats and all the rest that I don't need.

I personally don't care what other people are using for 3D, as long as they are not sending me content for use in a project. If people want to use software made by companies that I find less than user friendly and refuse to support, that is their business. I don't dislike the users because they don't see what I see in the companies they support. (I usually find distaste in them because of attitude and blind loyalty, as 3D is so capable of doing to a person.)

I hardly come here any more, which is a shame. I supported this site for over 12 years. But the logic of the design began going downhill, and I gave up on it. And this latest move has made me feel repulsed to where I only come here because someone made a comment about Renderosity elsewhere. The feeling this site gives me now is counter to the creative inspiration that I am seeking. It's like getting hit in the face with a large, wet, dirty sponge. I just don't want to be here any more because of the way the site has been mismanaged.

I think that pretty much sums it up.