Forum: DAZ|Studio

Subject: Photometric Point Lights not rendering...

Techyman opened this issue on Sep 05, 2015 ยท 9 posts

Techyman posted Sun, 06 September 2015 at 11:06 AM

The problem I have is that the light is from a small shallow pan that contains a flame. The the flame is mapped to a plane. If I convert the flame to an emitter, then the entire plane lights up, not just the flame. When I originally did the scene, I used a linear point light (I was using Reality 4.1 at the time) to create a specific effect on the wall the pan is hanging from. It also created a great shadow effect for a couple of the props around it. It is a small part of the background, but it adds a lot of atmosphere to the scene. The only work around I can come up with is to create a cylinder, scale the Y axis down until it is wafer-thin, convert it to an emitter, and set it in the bottom of the pan so that it is just out of sight. It gives me something of what I want, but it's still not as good a point light. I've looked at all of the tutorials on YouTube (Sickleyield has some great ones) and followed the instructions, but I still can't get the non-emitter lights to register.

I also wanted to thank everybody who replied and to LPR001 who suggested the IRAY lighting, I took a look at the Total Iray lighting and it looks good. I don't see anything in there that could help with this project, but it has given me some interesting ideas. Thanks again.