Forum: Carrara

Subject: Dynamic Cloth and Hair simulator for Carrara - Do you want this ?

0oseven opened this issue on Oct 01, 2015 ยท 9 posts

Grimhilda posted Thu, 01 October 2015 at 6:18 PM

The latest video by VWD - which is linked to in one of his posts near the bottom of the last page - is amazing. The others are too and are not to be missed if realistically animated cloth and hair is of interest.

As things stand today the program allows the user to select items from a Poser scene as a cloth, hair, or collision object. The figure is the normal collision object and can be animated. When the cloth or hair simulation is run, the results are returned to the Poser scene for rendering. (The free demo doesn't return the results to Poser but the simulation can be saved as a video file).

VWD spoke early in the thread about exporting the results from simulations in various file formats so that programs other than Poser could use them. One of the formats (I forget which, it's in the thread) can be converted (with a free converter) to MDD format, which Carrara can read with a plugin.

My hope is that VWD will be able to develop the facility to export simulations in a form, such as this, that Carrara can use. Currently Poser is required and I'm not sure what chance there is of a Carrara version of the program being written soon - or at all. (I don't know either way).

By Carrara version I mean one which would run in Carrara, take elements from a Carrara scene and return simulation results back to that scene. If Poser remains the 'starting point' then I guess the choice of figures for Carrara use is restricted to some extent.