Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Time to leave V4?

Dave-So opened this issue on Sep 20, 2015 · 238 posts

Male_M3dia posted Sat, 03 October 2015 at 8:38 PM

ssgbryan posted at 9:34PM Sat, 03 October 2015 - #4232181

'Rosity depends on the 'Rosity marketplace, not Poser, Kobaltkween. ‘Rosity hasn’t gone over 3,000 users since the site redesign, down about 50% – make of it what you will.

DS is designed to maximize vendor income, not to preserve customer investment. That is why storefronts and vendors are pushing g3. Pay more; get less (from the customer's perspective). Long term, it will be interesting to see if more than 1 storefront can live off the DS user base. Any of you realize just how few people sell over at DAZ on a regular basis? Not as many as you might think.

kobaltkween posted at 1:06PM Sat, 03 October 2015 - #4232078

Um, just to say, the reason to look beyond V4 is liking to buy content at all.

Clothing has been decoupled from figures for about a decade now (1st with Wardrobe Wizard, then Xdresser, now the Fitting Room). It used to require an intermediate knowledge of Poser, but now, a rank beginner can do it. This means the customer doesn't actually have to care about who the product was made for originally. (Yes, I know - no one has ever bought any copy of Poser 5 or later.)

Those that have left Poser 4 conventions behind have more choices than vendors like. V4 is going to get vaulted soon – DAZ Soon - note that nothing at DAZ comes with Poser Companion Files anymore - Not even content built for g2 (which Poser can use).

Maybe I'm misreading things, but most posts seem to view supporting a non-DAZ figure as some sort of kindness or charity to the figure creator.

You are. Many vendors were adamant that they would not build for non-V4 figures and customers got the message loud and clear. Why should they invest in a figure that the vendors are hell bent on not supporting? This attitude is the stated reason as to why SM added the fitting room. Yet another missed opportunity for vendors to prepare for A.V4. (After Vicky 4). Then there were the DAZ vendors that the moderators here allowed to run wild in the Poser forums.

The only people I see without many choices if the community doesn't support a non-DAZ figure are Poser customers who want new content.

Look closer. The people that are losing choices are vendors/customers that won't let go of a Poser 4 workflow. Those of us who have done so have choices.

I am the very model of the modern Poser Pro 2014 user. I share clothing, hair & skin textures between all of my characters, depending on my needs, not the whim of a vendor. I really don't think you guys realize how much later versions of Poser change how we use Poser. I never have to worry about getting clothing on ANY figure due to the fitting room, and the commands of Morphs to Single Dial & Copy Morphs From command. (Yes, I know SM has never sold a single copy of Poser Pro.)

Here is an associated question - if a customer is too cheap to spend money for a copy of Poser 9 or later, just how much do you think they are paying for any of your products?

Which isn't going to happen if we sit back and wait for someone (or even a whole company of someones) to achieve the same thing that took the whole community years of work, millions of dollars, and several revisions to achieve.

What is this "We" stuff? We have chosen - the problem is that Poser users have more than 1 choice of figures - You seem to be expecting us to conform what makes things easiest for you. (That may not be what you meant, but that is how it is coming across.) Those days are gone, and they aren't coming back.

Let me give you an example. There is a new male figure over at RDNA (EF-Steve). If vendors supports him, great. if not, by the end of the month, he will have access to all of my male clothing (20Gb+).

Wolf359, why do you still post here?

Wolf359 posts here for the same reason DAZ vendors like Zev0 & Terrance (aka Male3dia) post here. If they were confident in their choices, they would be in the Cinema3d and DS forums, respectively.

And if you were actually confident in the far fetched speculation posts, you wouldn't have to bring my name into this convo now would you?

What does calling people out do with the topic anyway?

Please keep the topic to V4, and not the personal attacks. Thank you.

Note: Mods, I would click report button, but I see ya'll ain't been your job from the other times I've clicked it. Please steer the convo back please.

Also since you got me to post, for those complaining about the amount of DS items coming out. It's very simple: Supply and demand. You want more items, you really need to start buying Poser stuff. And that means supporting another figure with your funds and giving up your vast V4 libraries because companies make no money from you reusing items with conversion tools and utilities. Storefronts have to keep their lights on and webspace so you can post in their forums, and it looks like the DS users are willing to pay. You want to turn the tide, support the newer figures.