Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Time to leave V4?

Dave-So opened this issue on Sep 20, 2015 ยท 238 posts

moriador posted Tue, 20 October 2015 at 4:18 PM

RorrKonn posted at 2:02PM Tue, 20 October 2015 - #4234464

michelvanspeybroeck posted at 4:15PM Tue, 20 October 2015 - #4234451

As a longtime poser user (since poser 2) i have recently downloaded daz studio and i am using it more then poser now. I did not like switching, but i had to. There is to much content out that is daz studio only and it is great content. I stil use poser, i will only upgrade poser to the next generation if it where possible to utilize new quality content.

All this in the long term is not good news for us users. I strongly belief in the benefits of companies having to compete. If daz would turn out to be the sole winner, we as user will pay for it money wise or in lesser quality. That is the nature of business.

So i hope that somehow there stil is a bright future for poser. I just can not see how that could be achieved.

I guess SM has some serious homework to do.

Smith Micro has a list of softwares they sell.Poser is a software.

DAZ is a vendor.I know they make DAZ Studio but that was only so they could have more control as a vender. make there meshes compatible for all softwares .They even have Max n Maya on there home page Poser to

Smith Micro is not a vendor. None of the companies that owned Poser ever was a vendor. 90%+ of Poser users has always depended on DAZ n Vicky.

Adobe is a software company. It does not make content either.

But, man, if you couldn't open, say TIFs with it or NEFs or TGAs or some other very commonly used file types within that industry, it would rapidly lose customers to the free software that does open those files -- except that with 2d files, it's possible to convert from one format to another easily. Moreover, it is possible to create content from scratch with nothing but Adobe software.

With Poser, you can create poses and materials using only Poser. But not models (unless you make them out of primitives). So SM is in a fairly unique position: they don't sell much supporting content for software that can't be used to create its own.

At some point, once you start using other software to create content -- because YOU HAVE TO -- isn't there always the chance that you might pose and render in that software as well? Unless Poser can keep up with future advances in full featured modelling software -- which is has so far, granted -- I'm wondering why any new customer would buy it at all.

The bigger issue is that it's also always possible that a large portion of Poser owners only bought or used the software in order to create content for it. If those people aren't planning on creating more content for Poser, they won't be buying Poser 11, either. Every vendor (or even freebie maker) who goes wholeheartedly over to making Daz Studio content is another customer lost to SM.

I think the technical term for what's about to happen is a downward spiral.

PoserPro 2014, PS CS5.5 Ext, Nikon D300. Win 8, i7-4770 @ 3.4 GHz, AMD Radeon 8570, 12 GB RAM.