Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: How do I direct the Library to to my Runtime folder?

MikeMoss opened this issue on Oct 20, 2015 ยท 15 posts

bagginsbill posted Wed, 21 October 2015 at 6:43 AM

heddeld - he wanted to delete the main poser library which is not permitted. Doing it by editing the file was the right way.

Mike. When you installed poser, it asked you where the main runtime was going to be. Thereafter, the first entry in the file was pointing there.

There are actually TWO main runtimes - one in the program folder where the executable is (the "legacy" location), and one outside in a documents folder (modern location and the default when you install). For a long time, since Microsoft Vista, it has been difficult to support an application that writes content into its program folder, i.e. the legacy way. Even worse is if OTHER applications (such as installers) try to write there - the files get magically moved to a shadow location that is yet a 3rd place in the equation.

Now - when you install, or reinstall, there is an option to choose where your main runtime is (including the legacy choice). I do not understand how you got it pointing one place but using another, because during that step it writes the prefs file to record the main content runtime location.

Note that the legacy runtime folder, located where the program exists, is still there even if that isn't your chosen CONTENT folder. It is used for scripts and dlls and other stuff that is "executed" and therefore deserves the higher level of protection afforded the "Program Files" folder tree. You should NOT be putting any content in there except when you absolutely have no other choice.

There are numerous inaccuracies constantly flung about regarding all this, so be careful what you read and believe.

For example, the instruction "Now you can cut and paste all those lines to your liking and change the index numbers accordingly." is misleading you. I wrote the library that reads those lines. It doesn't pay any attention to those index numbers. They are there as a legacy format consequence of how Poser 7 stored the XML data. Poser 8 and up do not look at the index numbers, so you can sort them by just moving - no editing of each index is necessary.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)