Forum: DAZ|Studio

Subject: Daz Studio 4.9 Big Changes Incoming!!

ghosty12 opened this issue on Oct 28, 2015 ยท 502 posts

maxgrafix posted Fri, 30 October 2015 at 5:01 PM

HassenBenSobar posted at 9:57PM Fri, 30 October 2015 - #4236041

maxgrafix posted at 2:48PM Fri, 30 October 2015 - #4236040

I was always wondering how and when this type of anit-piracy measure was going to be introduced.

After chatting with one content creator a few years ago we got round to talking about this very subject. His idea (a joke with a hint of seriousness) was to upload virus infected files to those giving away his content on sharing sites. Amusing at the time, but since there is little or no real protection for content creators like the movie and movie industry have, it was only a matter of time before something like this was implemented.

Regarding DRM. It's been tried, tested and has failed where music and video content is concerned so I can't see it working for DAZ. I'll give it a week or two before the hackers and crackers reverse engineeer the files and post them online.

Then what?

I think it may have been the first Batman game, Arkham Asylum, they purposely coded a bug that would reproduce if the game detected that it was illegal. If I remember correctly, in the tutorial sequence where Batman has to make his way across the gargoyles for the first time, Batman would not leap from the gargoyles leaving the game soft locked. I think code like that would be a super creative alternative to drm. I just never heard of anyone else trying something like that.

Interesting indeed. After reading through the DAZ forums regarding DS 4.9 it appears many are against the idea of DRM content. I'll keep a close eye over the next few months to see how it pans out.