Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: superfly renders?

MistyLaraCarrara opened this issue on Nov 19, 2015 ยท 314 posts

nerd posted Sun, 22 November 2015 at 9:07 PM Forum Moderator

Razor42 posted at 6:55PM Sun, 22 November 2015 - #4240333

Sounds like a pretty steep learning curve to Superfly then, as Iray was producing stunning results right out of the box. Or is this something in the actual implementation of Superfly that makes it more difficult to get a general high quality across a wide variety of scenes?

@ martial, hmm my specs are nowhere near your own and I can run pretty much a whole bunch of things alongside Iray even both Blender and Photoshop. Is it possible to pause and resume a Superfly render out of curiosity?

I know, i know I probably mentioned Iray three times to many in this post. :)

No we don't have a pause and resume, good idea. The ability to multi task along side Cycles is subject to render settings. If you use smaller buckets then you're more likely to get good multi task performance.

Learning SuperFly is easier than pure cycles, Wait what did I just say, Cycles is SuperFly. Well yes and more. We support nearly all of cycles native nodes which while they are amazingly powerful, you're right it will take some time to learn. So. We added all the FireFly nodes (well all that made sense) to Cycles, That's SuperFly.

While you are getting cycles in your head you can use FireFly nodes in the SUperFly (cycles powered) engine. There are some limits. Cycles in a physical renderer. that means things that are physically impossible are not allowed. Also some stuff it implied and not needed. The most obvious will the reflections and specularity. In Cycles smooth object are just naturally reflective. Naturally specular. So all the fancy node trickery to make reflections ... pbbt! not needed. It's built in.

Now I'm going to say right here it seems we have a problem in trans mapped hair with some GPUs. We'll get that fixed. So if you're seeing slowness there we know about it and we're on it. In those cases, interestingly, the CPU render is faster.