Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: superfly renders?

MistyLaraCarrara opened this issue on Nov 19, 2015 ยท 314 posts

Frequency3D posted Mon, 23 November 2015 at 8:38 AM Online Now!

Yeah, to get professional looking results could take a while. I was reading up a bit on PBR yesterday, trying to find out what it actually means. It turns out that texturing is treated a bit differently. It all seems very scientific and a bit daunting to beginners. But at the same time very powerful and a way to get good results long term. Specifically it is a standard that if implemented correctly is supposed to give consistent results across platforms and render engines using PBR. Also, it seems that even Blender Cycles is not exclusively PBR, but 'supports' PBR. I am guessing it depends on what nodes you use.

So no wonder many skin material setups created for FireFly are not working correctly in SuperFly. I tried EZ Skin and it seems to give that whiteout effect with the basic P11 lighting where some simple clothing textures on the other hand, turned out ok. Correct me if I am wrong. So one thing we definitely need is a good skin shader for SuperFly, one that we can plug all our old skin textures into. That should take us a long way actually!

Got some interesting links though (none of these are specifically for SuperFly if course, but should prove an interesting read nevertheless):

5 Tips for Better Materials | Blender Guru

Realistic shaders tutorial in Blender and Cycles

Readings on physically based rendering

PBR In Practice | Marmoset

PBR Texture Conversion | Marmoset

Art Is A Verb - "Physically Based Next-gen Texturing for Artists" by Andrew Maximov

Some of this is highly technical and I anticipate that it will take some time before I produce decent renders and/or SuperFly materials for my products. It depends a bit on what supporting tools and assets will come out from either other vendors or from SM. So we will see.

I do believe that Dimension3D has released a tutorial here at Renderosity though (I hope it is ok that I post a marketplace link);

Introduction to SuperFly

Definitely getting that one soon, thanks D3D! Edit: Make that NOW lol.

Frequency Gallery  |  Frequency Store