Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: superfly renders?

MistyLaraCarrara opened this issue on Nov 19, 2015 ยท 314 posts

moriador posted Wed, 25 November 2015 at 4:55 AM

hornet3d posted at 2:44AM Wed, 25 November 2015 - #4240720

Looks like Superfly will take some learning and there is nothing really wrong with that except there was the comment made some time ago that there would be an easy way to use it but it would also allow those that wanted to look under hood to do so. Looks like we only got the look under then hood version.

Since I'm not rendering jewelry or anything overly complicated, I've found that using a very simple 3 part diffuse, specular, and bump (or normal) map with sane looking settings (e.g. no specular nodes plugged into ordinary diffuse maps or entirely blacked out) is working out quite well in Superfly. For skin, I just add a very simple subsurface skin node -- like Pauline has -- and make some of the unnecessary eye surfaces invisible/transparent. If the specular maps are decent, they seem to do a lot of the work, though it takes a bit of experimentation to get good looking settings.

I also have to remind myself that my "posing light" set-up doesn't work in Superfly. But otherwise, getting a decent looking result is mostly a matter of dismantling all the hacks and work-arounds -- and digging through the texture folders for specular and normal maps that a lot of Daz vendors create for DS, but never use in Poser. (May be true of some Hivewire vendors, too.)

To be sure, there's none of the WOW! factor you get from really amazing shaders, but the results are certainly quite passable as I learn to do more.

PoserPro 2014, PS CS5.5 Ext, Nikon D300. Win 8, i7-4770 @ 3.4 GHz, AMD Radeon 8570, 12 GB RAM.