Forum: DAZ|Studio

Subject: Using DAZ Studio to rig non-DAZ models

Xatren opened this issue on Nov 30, 2015 ยท 5 posts

LPR001 posted Tue, 01 December 2015 at 6:07 PM

Hi there Xatren

I can't answer all of this as I am not familiar with Second Life tbh there is a content rights issue I was not keen on. I also believe that Daz forbids the export of their characters and all meshes for use in Second Life as they are having none of it. This will need clarification and this would not stop you building your own Characters and Props, hopefully this can be confirmed by Rhaseltine oy Bhoins on here for you. I use UE4 and Unity (Both free these days unless you make a killing on your game which then you will be happy to hand over some cash :-)) With the avatars and skeleton intact I export out of Daz and convert from there, it heads out very nicely and can be set up to work fine in Unity etc or animation in iClone. I use Reallusion 3DXchange 6 for the conversion which gives options of 3ds Max Biped, 3ds Max Biped 2, Maya IK and DazGenesis4 profiles and I use a work around with pre Genesis Aiko, Victoria 4 etc which you would probably encounter issues with what you are doing on the early formats. You would need something like Hexagon 2.5 (which is convenient and cheap and has bridge and does have a Second Life toolset) and/or blender to complete the puzzle with the prop side and mesh mods since Daz is basically a 3D render engine with lots of extras not modelling software although the lines are somewhat blurred with this. Once you have worked on either of your own product bringing in and out of Daz should be no real issue. I use Nukeygara Akeytsu to rig and create the animation for characters that I need to create custom bvh for use in other software. I usually export props (ie weapons separately) Since you can export both FBX and OBJ I am of the thought you would have much trouble setting up your creations and using them in your chosen software.

There is not much you can't do with Daz with a few auxiliary programs hanging off the side my friend and best of all you won't be short of is tutorial and help to get you on the right path.

Now as I stated above the please research the Daz - Second life Lic. issue as it needs looking at but because you are suggesting your own Creations/Characters/Props this would be different but not give you full potential of the Daz software compared to using your products in other software/game development applications. IMHO check out UE4 and Unity they are big downloads but costs you nothing to get going, many tutorials and support plenty of free content and far less restrictions due to EULA.

- Johnny G

"Try animation to get things moving"

lpr001@renderosity.com