Forum: Community Center

Subject: Open letter to renderosity staff & members

poisinivy opened this issue on Feb 20, 2016 ยท 87 posts

IceEmpress posted Sun, 28 February 2016 at 8:18 AM

We use the same TOS the members do and while I was making my way through the posts I noticed many members were stating that it was all offsite links including tutorials. I kept flipping back and forth between the posts and the TOS and had concerns about tutorials as there was nothing in the TOS that states you could not do this but also nothing to say you could. We only worry about when it says you can't. Anything dubious is based on its own individual case. What it does say is no links to competing marketplaces. Given the members are claiming we are ignoring them I felt I should go and seek clarification as I thought it was very important if anything the need for tutorials is critical and I have posted the answer. If anything as I stated the TOS may need a tweak in relation to this because I could see the confusion myself. It is as I stated above and 3DFineries did ask me about this and will pin a post regarding the matter. The main part to consider - Links to known, safe, established websites are not being banned. And providing your link does not land in a competing marketplace there is no issue. If someone asked about a nVidia Graphic Card you could land them smack in the middle of the PC nVidia /retailer store or eBay etc as Renderosity would not take exception to that.

LPR, you need to look at Hope's locked thread in the Freestuff forum which is THE official announcement about off-site links.

https://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/?thread_id=2899703

In the TOS, we now have a new addition that states we no longer accept off-site links. So, unfortunately, you're unable to post off-site freebies.

In addition, we fear that any off-site links could be harmful to other members and could potentially give off viruses.

Tutorials are not mentioned specifically, but it is clear that hope is referring to any and all off-site links, PERIOD. There is nothing in the announcement about 'trusted sites' for videos or tutorials nor that there are any exceptions to this rule.