Forum: Vue

Subject: Problems with Vue 4 . . .

kruzr opened this issue on Oct 09, 2001 ยท 4 posts

MikeJ posted Tue, 09 October 2001 at 11:58 AM

Strangely enough, Mark, I had a similar problem in trying to use Vue 3, after installing Vue 4. Why would I still want to use Vue 3, you ask? I dunno...nostalgia? ;) I went through a couple of times installing, uninstalling and reinstalling, and then settled on having each version in separate folders, which is actually the only way, because if memory serves me, Vue 3 won't work once Vue 4 has been added "on top" of it, but still will if in a different folder. Maybe it's a .nfo or a .cfg file that gets overwritten during the install. shrug Your particular problem seems kind of unique, though and I would have NO idea how to explain it, but at least now it appears to be working, right? You can now load all your plants? As far as I know, e-on had some of the best Vue-ers around, beta testing Vue 4 prior to release. No, I wasn't one of them. :/ Maybe next time.... But, I do know that beta testing was "by invitation only", and yes, I do agree there are alot of bugs. Strangely enough, the various "bugs" only affect certain people, and not others. For example, on my system, vue will not recognize a Poser .BUM file, so I'm SOL on that, but for others, there is no problem. Some people had to rename their Poser.exe file to Poser.exe (same name!) to get the PZ3 import working. Some people can't render to disk, while others have no problems. shrug it probably would have been a good idea for them to have had more beta testers, but I couldn't say, since I have no idea just how many they were. I know that at least two of the regulars here were testers, and another guy who posts images here, and I've heard of a few others, but even though I don't know just how many were involved, I'm betting it was a relatively small group. With sooo many different possibilities for hardware/software configurations these days, not to mention OS versions, it would seem that there's no way to absolutely insure everyone will have the same experience.... I feel guilty when people talk about their extensive problems, such as hein having crashes all the time, and Sacred Rose having a real nightmare getting it to work with Poser, and not being able to even so much as access the 4.02 upgrade...and all that, because I honestly haven't had any major problems... Well, i had a plant problem at first, but that turned out to be McAffee Virus Scan trying to "protect" me from the Evil Long Grass and the Satanic Schefflera. ;) Anti-virus software seems to want to read Vue plant files as virii for some reason...sometimes, that is, at least on MY system, because I couldn't even so much as install either the Long Grass or the Schefflera without turning off McAffee. Since the actual installation, even, I still have to have background scanning turned off while using Vue, and all the Norton stuff conflicts with it too. I really don't think, though, that E-on is guilty of rush-releasing Vue 4, but maybe just a little guilty of not having had enough testers. they'll be spending alot of time coding new patches, though, so hopefully next time, they'll try to take more into account, although it must be a daunting task to try to consider everything.... Anyhow, glad it appears to be working for you now. :)