Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Any Mat Room gurus still posting around here?

Cage opened this issue on Mar 10, 2016 ยท 16 posts

bagginsbill posted Fri, 18 March 2016 at 1:47 PM

Sorry I'm not around here much. I don't care for this software and being constantly irritated isn't good for my state of mind.

Anyway, the UV mapping (or remapping as you discovered) was not a direct requirement, but an indirect one from an earlier requirement.

The earlier requirements, posed by me, was this: Make the UV map of the legs go in such a way as to proceed smoothly and consistently in the V direction up the leg, such that equal spaces in V corresponded to equal spacing up the foot + leg, starting from the tip of the toe, and oriented so that wraparound values at the seam were in agreement about the V position. There should be no deviation in orientation or spacing. The motivation was to be able to use the V coordinate, alone, as a means to produce shader effects for stockings, garters, socks -- basically everything that suffers from poke through in geometry (close-fit stockings) or distortion in texture (e.g. fishnet diamonds).

At first, odf saw this as a vexing problem. To accomplish this he basically had to freeze the geometry and he was constantly tweaking. He wanted a way to automate it. Worse, the UV unwrapping tools he had would not obey this rule of V coordinate position and orientation. As well, there were competing mappings - the perfect mapping for skin is not the perfect mapping for fishnet.

So odf was looking for a way to define UV remapping in an intermediate texture. The plan was, you use the real, fixed UV coordinates to look up an alternative coordinate in a map. That alternative coordinate then could be used for my stocking bands, or other V-oriented procedural values. The scripts he later talked about were doing just that - producing automatically that coordinate translation map based on the actual 5-D XYZUV points of the figure. Unfortunately, the final UV mapping of Antonia is no longer compatible with that Y map in the thread that odf attached, so I can't demonstrate how it works. Did he post an updated one later? I kind of wandered off the thread at that time as I was very busy with work.

Here, I show how the actual UV mapping of the legs fails to meet my goals. I'm using procedural comparisons to the V coordinate to determine what density to create for the stocking overlay. You can see that the iso-V lines are not straight, but twisted, and that they do not agree on either side of the seams.

Antonia Leg V Mapping.jpg

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)