Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Kate 2

Dasilva opened this issue on Aug 09, 2015 ยท 49 posts

ssgbryan posted Tue, 22 March 2016 at 12:23 PM

EldritchCellar posted at 11:08AM Tue, 22 March 2016 - #4262025

I'm curious why the keepers of the Poser flame didn't/haven't just stuck with a concise "family" of figures and polished or updated those in progressive versions. That seems like it would have been the most productive or sensible thing from an organizational stance... Rather than this wheelbarrow method of pouring disparate content onto an increasingly chaotic pile.

Because they have a different business model than DAZ, which most people don't seem to understand.

The reason each new version of Poser gets new figures is two-fold.

1. The new figures show off new Poser technology.
  2. The figures are not the selling point - the software is.

Because of item 2, one is not forced to move to new figures every 2 years; one can simply retro-fit new Poser technology into the figure of your choice, thus preserving your investment. This is what makes things like the fitting room and the Copy Morphs From command so powerful. I can use any figure I like - all the way back to when I first started playing around with Poser 5 in 2004. See attached image - This is the Lo-Rez Poser 2 female. The figure on the left is the default figure. The figure on the right is the exact same figure, but taken to subdivision 3. Anyone can do this with any figure - most of my legacy figures are weight mapped and subdivided. In addition, all of my figures have access to all of the clothing I have purchased over the years. If a new figure comes out, I don't have invest in a new wardrobe, I only need to pick up shoes (shoe conversions are still problematic, IMO.) LoRez Poser 2 Female-sm.png