Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: superfly renders?

MistyLaraCarrara opened this issue on Nov 19, 2015 ยท 314 posts

hornet3d posted Fri, 01 April 2016 at 6:11 AM

IsaoShi posted at 12:00PM Fri, 01 April 2016 - #4262784

Tracybee posted at 12:46AM Sun, 27 March 2016 - #4254562

Been following this thread with great interest. Unfortunately.for me..the renders still look like Poser. Show them to others who immediately recognise them as "Poser." No real difference in outcome than the earlier versions of the last few years. Figures still have those store dummy expressions, poses and textures. I was hoping for a more organic/realistic look or at least some improvement. Hate to be so down on this release and on the "superfly". I was really looking forward to some quantum leap I guess.

I've just been catching up with this thread, and I'm astonished at this.

There is an obvious quantum leap in the technology of a physics-based render engine over Firefly. You don't need to compare renders to understand that. In fact, you shouldn't. Renders presented by people who are still learning how to use this technology (myself included) are the worst kind of evidence on which to base any decision.

The fact is that a PBR like Superfly makes it much easier to construct material shaders that are physically correct and look realistic in a wide range of lighting conditions, without the complexity and all the artifices that are necessary to achieve something approximating the same result using Firefly. If the renders and shaders you see don't demonstrate the differences, it's generally because the user doesn't (yet) know either how to do it, or how to effectively demonstrate it.

I agree with your comments but I have to say I do not come to the same conclusion as you, not at this point in time anyway. Yes the new render engine is almost certainly got more potential and the people using it are only just learning how to use the new engine but what else are people going to use to base their buying decision on. Unless you are very rich spending a large sum of money just to be able to use a new render engine to produce what you can produce now is not a great idea. BB has shown the potential of the new engine but BB has an exceptional skill that are not matched by the average user. Until the average users can see other users producing renders better than Firefly, on a regular basis, many will hold of on upgrading.

That is not to rubbish the efforts of the users here, but most of then also admit they want better from the new engine. I value their efforts and even more their wish to share and help others but I too will hold off for the time being based on what I have seen so far but that does not mean I will stick at 2014.

As an aside it might also mean that the concern over the library will have dissipated when I do finally upgrade.

I use Poser 13 on Windows 11 - For Scene set up I use a Geekcom A5 -  Ryzen 9 5900HX, with 64 gig ram and 3 TB  storage, mini PC with final rendering done on normal sized desktop using an AMD Ryzen Threadipper 1950X CPU, Corsair Hydro H100i CPU cooler, 3XS EVGA GTX 1080i SC with 11g Ram, 4 X 16gig Corsair DDR4 Ram and a Corsair RM 100 PSU .   The desktop is in a remote location with rendering done via Queue Manager which gives me a clearer desktop and quieter computer room.