Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Project E

vampchild opened this issue on Apr 08, 2014 ยท 337 posts

erogenesis posted Mon, 23 May 2016 at 4:16 AM

Hey hey. For those interested, for the last few weeks I've returned to comic work again to make some money to survive, etc. PE is still around, looking pretty good, but plans have definitely changed.

Funding aside, there is also the way things went during PE's development, as some of you might know. Things got quite crazy. I'm no stranger to tackling complex problems, but when all the workarounds end up backfiring, one must at some point wonder if they're using the wrong software. Obviously in this case that's just not an option since we've come so far, but we need to be very pragmatic now. I was hoping to hand over the project to other folks to get it released sooner, but they don't have the time either.

Luckily the worst of rigging is now behind us, but I am not going to do anymore complex things with her because that is guaranteed to uncover some more bugs / limitations for us to spend days trying to find out what it is and then try and explain to some dude in California what's not going right, and trying to convince him that its not me doing something wrong. Simply put, I put my foot in it with this project, and I'm not going to risk sinking deeper into this CR2-coded rabbit hole. Just to be fair, Poser has finally dealt with some of the big problems, but there's still plenty more to deal with... and I really need to move on now. All my friends are making awesome art and I was stuck here debugging PE... eh I mean Poser. I'm finally catching up again (and learning C4D). Speaking of which, she doesn't work properly in P11 yet, but I'm sure at some point some clever bugger will figure out what's going wrong there.

Anyway PE's rig is almost done. What remains to be done is a few JCMs, when I have time (after a comic or two) of course, and perhaps (if I'm in a good mood) I (or one of my buddies will) will try fudge the scaling to look goodish. Then it will get tested. Instead of doing three testing rounds, we'll do all three in one go, a select group of vendors, artists, community members. Then I'll make as many morph packs as I can based on what folks over at CGBytes have requested. I'll try make a few textures to kick off with. For the rest I'm afraid she's going to rely heavily on vendor support. I'm going to try and hire someone to do the helpdesk, because I'm going to be meditating in a cave in Nepal somewhere.

japdevon011.jpg

You know, all problems aside, this figure is lovely. For me she's the best Poser figure I've ever used, but of course I'd say that because I tailored her to what I need mostly. Chances are you'd like her too. The mannequins will also be fun to use I think. But eesh, I'm just shocked at the manner in which it all had to happen. Some of the bugs I discovered really boggle the mind. How can one dude in Africa spot them one day after the $500 app has been around for over a decade. How? You'll hear me complain about that for a long time to come.

Anyway, at least things are improving under Nerd3D. Two of the biggest thorns in my eyes, the JCM issue, the warping bulges issue have finally been resolved, along with a lot of other issues...

Thanks for your patience. Onwards!

"The fool is not the one that does something foolish, but the one that does nothing at all."