Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: How Do I Setup Poser11 To Access A Faster Solid State Drive

gtrdon opened this issue on Jul 22, 2016 ยท 10 posts

gtrdon posted Mon, 25 July 2016 at 10:34 PM

Jura11 Thanks for the input. The main issue I have with transferring data from C:drive to a new drive is that while the transfer software may correctly move the programs and their associated files to the new ((SSD) drive. Many programs will look at the new hardware(drive) and flag the installation as unauthorized and required the user to reauthorize the license. This would not be a problem if it were not for the fact that they only allow a limited amount of authorizations. One program I have, I really like, told me after my C:drive crashed and I replaced it that I have used up all of my installations after this one. I have had this problem with other software. I believe this program is no longer available and don't want to loose it. I think your solution is workable and I will take your advice if I start a new system. Making the C drive a SSD is a good idea.

ironsoul The mklink is really a slick trick! It opens up a lot possibilities for other ideas too. I followed your instruction's and using the /J option I was able to move the Poser 11 Content runtime to my SSD and Poser operation did not complain. I tried it on a couple runtimes libraries The startup load directories seemed faster but when I when tied to load content form the libraries to the screen my timing showed about the same time for both the SSD and the Disk Drive. I am beginning to think that the files must be cached in the systems dynamic ram some how or I would see a big difference in the two. I even set my temp drive in the preferences to the SSD drive and render times did not seem to improve.

However, I do love the capability of setting up the symbolic links for runtime libraries. I will using this tip a lot for other applications.

Thanks If anyone has any more ideas I am all ears gtrdon