Forum: Vue

Subject: Terrain Export/Import

MikeJ opened this issue on Oct 11, 2001 ยท 9 posts

MikeJ posted Thu, 11 October 2001 at 5:26 PM

'Evening, Mark, no problem. :) Varian, you do in fact get an actual bitmap of tthe "faked" procedural textural, as well as a "faked" bump to go along with it. The process for exporting it all is annoying, but it works, and not badly at all, really. This was imported into 3DS Max 4 (demo), and all I did was render it. I could have improved on the bump, I guess, and the atmosphere probably , as well, but then again, I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing in Max as far as rendering goes, as all I've really been playing with is the modeling stuff. I'm sure Max' renderer can get great results, but I hear people are using things other than the Max renderer to get the effects. *shrug* But, what a modeler it is!!! and the animation possibilities...whew!!! Anyhow, again, no... it's a "real" texture, and not just a heightfield. This particular one was rather low-res, too...about 400x400, IIRC, and the terrain was also quite low-res. I still have another day and a half left with the demo, so I'll try before then to see just how good Vue's export can get. i do know that this looks far worse in Vue, for some reason...in Vue, the proceduals are most definitely the way to go when it comes to terrains... plus, this is, after all, now a mesh, and not a terrain...