Forum: Community Center

Subject: Fake user ?

Zaycrow opened this issue on Dec 28, 2016 ยท 30 posts

twitchew posted Mon, 06 February 2017 at 9:48 AM

ReneJW posted at 9:40AM Mon, 06 February 2017 - #4296690

I've had MeganBurnett12 following me since Dec. 20, 2016 and ElizabethThomas5 since January 15, 2017. They are still showing even though I have reported it. Because of this, I don't trust buying anything from Renderosity until I know it has been fixed and the server is secure. Even though, Rendersoity has said they don't keep our credit cards on file, how do we know when we type our credit card information in to purchase something that some bot somewhere could be getting our information as we type it. I really hope this can be resolved soon so I can again buy from Renderosity. I'm concerned this can hurt the vendors, if people don't feel safe buying here.

I understand your fundamental concern about security, but I don't see how a fake account will cause the issue you are describing unless you follow the malicious link that they put on their profile home page. A bot or a user can both put up a malware link, and I don't know how any site can protect against that specifically. I am presuming that the files that get uploaded by a merchant are scanned (that would be an issue of worry) but the money transaction is internal to rendo - they push money to the vendor not the ccard processor iirc.

ReneJW, I hope that you take this in the spirit of helpfulness that I intended it. I agree that the spambot garbage has simply got to stop. It is not a huge security hole, but is a very, very public facing problem that make us all question all of the security and process that we can't see (card processing, etc.). (i.e. "if you can't stop spambots then what else aren't you stopping).