Forum: MarketPlace Customers

Subject: Low security at Renderosity?

l.croft opened this issue on Apr 11, 2017 · 83 posts

hornet3d posted Sat, 13 May 2017 at 3:54 AM

zuppifix posted at 9:42AM Sat, 13 May 2017 - #4305107

I was also one of those who purchased here, once on March 10th and once on March 12th. I received no (let me repeat, no) email warning of any kind that there had been a breach and was, therefore, not able to protect myself against fraudulent use of my credit card, which happened on May 5th (apparently--as already mentioned elsewhere in the forum--due to a case of delayed use on the part of the criminals).

Understandably, I am now also one of those who are extremely hesitant to ever shop here again, but if there were a reasonable (which others have said doesn't exist at the moment) way of putting money (using a prepaid card) into Rendo by purchasing a gift certificate which worked like store credit (which others have said is NOT the way things are set up to work), then I would consider coming back.

What's the issue with this? Why can't you guys let people deduct money from gift certificate purchases in the same manner that store credit works? Is this in the works, or will this never happen?

I'm not going to go into ALL THE HASSLES I've had to deal with clearing up this MESS!! The time and frustration dealing with the credit card people has been mind numbing. And the prospect of never being able to shop here again scary because I love the products sold here.

If you want to make this right by me, you could do one minor thing: at least let gift certificates work like store credit.

If you really want to shop here and protect your credit cards you could try using a prepaid debit card. There are cards that are fairly cheap to run, if used wisely, and will allow you to top up from your bank account free of charge that way you can just place enough on the card to cover the cost of your order here. If the card is defrauded and you have kept a small balance on the card only that balance is at risk. If you choose one with no credit or overdraft facility there is on ongoing risk. Also, as there is no credit card or overdraft facility there is no credit check required on applying so if one card does get hit you just open another.

I am based in the UK and have a card called 'Pockit' it cost just £1 to have the card issued and it can be used everywhere a Mastercard can be used. I can transfer money from my bank account online at no additional charge and it take less than an hour for the transferred funds to appear on the card. I suspect that the only extra cost I will pay will be in a slightly poorer $-£ exchange but I see that as a small cost to pay for the worry it will save. I say suspect because it was set up with the intention of only using here and I have not used it so far.

The other way is to use Paypal of course, which seems to work for a lot of people I just prefer the idea of the prepaid debt card.

I use Poser 13 on Windows 11 - For Scene set up I use a Geekcom A5 -  Ryzen 9 5900HX, with 64 gig ram and 3 TB  storage, mini PC with final rendering done on normal sized desktop using an AMD Ryzen Threadipper 1950X CPU, Corsair Hydro H100i CPU cooler, 3XS EVGA GTX 1080i SC with 11g Ram, 4 X 16gig Corsair DDR4 Ram and a Corsair RM 100 PSU .   The desktop is in a remote location with rendering done via Queue Manager which gives me a clearer desktop and quieter computer room.