Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Should we Mac Poser users switch to PC?

jerr3d opened this issue on Oct 13, 2001 ยท 57 posts

BlankCanvas posted Sun, 14 October 2001 at 4:15 AM

This is a troll topic thread so I don't have a problem with posting this incendiary reply. Skip over this post if think Bill Gates is God's gift to computers users. I've played the "Why don't you Mac people get some sense and join the Collective" game for decades. I don't base my computer purchases on how much the box costs; I base it upon how much value is produced by the box. On identically configured boxes, Windows will consistently consume value with (just a tiny sample of problems): it's randomly occurring incompatibilities (a common complain from my Windows-using friends) and it's inability to distinguish files by their creators (I have a dozen apps that make EPSes, why the Hell can Windows only remember ONE of them?). YMWillV but I'll be damned if I ever meet in-person a Windows user without a bloodcurdling story of some problem that either destroyed gobs of data and/or resulted in the machine being out of order for a week or more. Otaku: I'm sitting at my production Macintosh running MacOS X 100% of the time. It is not Linux based; it is FreeBSD based. Jim B: I use BBEdit to edit my text files. It avoids having to repeatedly use Mac Converter (BBEdit can be set to maintain existing Macintosh, Windows, or Unix line breaks; and it doesn't change the file type when the file is saved). There are many other fields, in addition to DTP, that a high-end Macintosh is desirable like video editing, most anything involving musical composition, Java software development (because of MacOS X), and a lot of scientific endeavors. This from professionals in these fields so don't flame me with nuh-uh's. BladeWolf: I've had 27 applications open at the same time (yes, I have that many to open). That list started with my daily workload of: Photoshop, QuarkXPress, InDesign, Illustrator, FreeHand, Eudora, Internet Explorer, iCab, and Poser. Macs are a lot hardier than you give them credit for. Now that I'm on MacOS X I'm finding that 27 will soon be a low count of my regularly open apps. I have 15 open at this moment. You are free to choose whatever platform you want. I don't give a flying monkey f**k which one you decide to use but I'm not going to change my choice become some Windows users whine that you can't do anything with a $50,000 mac because there isn't any software for it and when you can buy a 10 TeraHertz PC for only $20. On another topic: I'm declaring a bounty on the people who are still opening the SirCam attachments. Fifty dollars for every scalp you bring in. Two hundred dollars for the scalp of the spammer who is still sending it to me.