Forum: Writers

Subject: Best wording

RedPhantom opened this issue on Mar 15, 2018 ยท 6 posts

PandaB5 posted Mon, 19 March 2018 at 3:17 AM

Caucasus is a mountain range and region in Russia. The first person to classify people used the people from that area as a model - Caucasian had "sharp" noses and a light skin then Mongolian had more flat noses... The actual classification stems from those times - you could probably find the history somewhere, I read it when I was editing a documentary some time ago.

In Africa, referring to Africa as a race is insulting. We're a mixture of very different people who live on this continent and not all are black. Consider that Egypt is in Africa and Egyptians are also Africans. The American habit of referring to themselves as African-American doesn't go over very well in my country - with anyone. I am African, nobody in my country would dispute that. I don't have dark skin.

In South Africa where we openly recognise and talk about race as our history made it a big issue which we're still struggling to solve - we openly and without prejudice refer to people as Black, White, Asian, Indian, Coloured. Asian would be people that come from China, Japan etc. Indian would be people who come from India, Pakistan, Syria Arabian countries. White would be ex-Europeans, black would be Africans and coloured is mixed race and Cape Malay. A South African would be able to tell the difference and we have a hard time explaining the concept of "coloured" to other people. But you could look up Trevor Noah who is a South African comedian working in USA - he makes a lot of jokes about this situation.

You could always make up your own word - for example call it Zing - we're a different Zing and then explain that.

Casual games for Windows PC, browsers and Android devices
https://www.evolutionarycasualgames.com/