Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Should we Mac Poser users switch to PC?

jerr3d opened this issue on Oct 13, 2001 ยท 57 posts

soulhuntre posted Tue, 16 October 2001 at 5:10 AM

Hey all :) Well, I am not going to do any pissing - just discuss some points with an open mind. "We mac users can afford our pricey,superficially beautiful hardware because we are using that %10 of the available high end ,industry standard software to turn our creativity into a viable income in the graphics field. So our high priced machines soon pay for themselves." I am confused, since there is no Mac only software I can find that is of any importance in the high end fields then any income gained from using a Mac is also gainable using a PC. Thus, that investment will get more/faster hardware. "Soulhuntre ... It is not a question on the programs but the PC lacks (or at least did until recently) true fonts. It didn't have the proper postscript capability to be liscensed by adobe and other font houses. There is a huge thing for desktop. Another thing to think about is that print shops often charge more for PC jobs due to to the extra work involved in trying to get screen fonts to print properly." Maybe we have a different idea of 'recently'? I am not trying to be a smart ass. Adobe has licenced it's fonts abilities to the Windows platform in the form of ATM (Adobe Type Manager) for at least the last 6 years that I know of (I ran it on Windows 95). Thus, the PC has had the ability to use Postscript fonts for quite a while now. Am I missing something? It is true that some houses still charge more for PC output - but that is only if you hand them the files in the native format of the software. it has been my experience and that of my clients that if you turn a properly formatted and pre-flighted EPS or PS file to a printer they don't have any interest in the platform/software that generated it - nor should they. "soulhuntre- Yep, Macs really, really do DTP stuff better than PCs, it has to do with the magic word "Postscript", which is native to Macs, but a add on for PCs. Try doing a EPS file with a complicated clipping path in both and you will see what I mean. Plus 90% of professional level DTP work is done on Macs, so you know the file will look right when the printer gets it, and I'm not talking about a printer on the end of a wire, I'm talking halftone printing!" I knwo that - I am talking about that myself. We do professional print work allt he time on PC's up to and including poster sizes and more. One of our clients is a PR firm in NYC that uses PC's to do similar work right next to their Mac's. The never have to use a Mac to overcome a printing problem. On a more technical note (and forgive me, I am a tech) Postscript isn't native to the Macintosh hardware or Operating system in any fashion at all. The Mac draws to the screen using a proprietary graphics subsystem just like the PC. neither of them use Postscript internally in any way at all. Again, I am not discounting your experience... just trying to understand it. If I run Quark on a PC and a Mac, or Illustrator and load a complex file that generates clipping paths it always works just fine for my clients. Anyway - thanks for your comments and for not getting hostile the way these conversations usually do!