Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Is Poser development dead?

aeilkema opened this issue on May 09, 2018 · 270 posts

ssgbryan posted Tue, 19 June 2018 at 11:35 AM

wolf359 posted at 9:22AM Tue, 19 June 2018 - #4332055

No one, outside of the poser community, is bothering to create dedicated solutions to bring the Poser native figures into their programs for animation or even Fix long standing problems of the application itself such as the non-collasping scene hierarchy or the broken IK system.

I am given to understand that there were many new enhancments to poser 11 that added functionality to the native figures. However people largely ignored these new figure specific features because of their low opinion of the appearance of the native figures and their sad , unwaivering devotion to an 11 year old Daz "Golem"(V4).

Last time I checked we had a number of tools to move Poser content to other packages - I don’t do animation, but I’ve been using Poser figures in Vue for over a decade. I don’t use the other plugins, since I don’t own the other packages.

Quick question - how extensive is FBX import and export for animation? Because Poser can do that now.

The new design team has gotten the message on both the annoying heiarchey issues, the need to rework the UI for both the hair and cloth room, and the IK issues as well.

There are a large number of improvements and new features in Poser 11.

I understand that it is an article of faith around here that no one uses any post Poser 4 feature, but there isn’t a lick of evidence that is true. Over 90% of us here are on Poser 9 or later. The only folks that don’t seem to be moving forward are the vendors. I should NOT be dealing with material.pz2s in 2018.

Elsewhere, we are talking about how to leverage these new features. Here, not so much, which is why I advocate visiting the other forums - the more advanced folks aren’t here anymore.

At a higher level, I really don’t think many folks here get Poser is about the tools, not the figures. I don’t have to replace my figures to get new tech, I can simply add it to my figure of choice. As much as I prefer newer figures, legacy figures (as far back as V1/M1) still make up a large portion of what I use. I need more than early 20 something Caucasians, so limiting myself to 1 or 2 figures is a non-starter for me. Over 95% of characters made are early 20’s Caucasians. It went from annoying to creepy a long, long time ago.

Back on topic....

Wanna stick a legacy figure. No problem, Poser has the tools that will upgrade that legacy figure, which is what a lot of folks do. Most of my legacy figures are weight-mapped, subdivided, and I am adding facial bone equivalents (I’m amused that my g1,2,& 3 golums have them.)

Like that cool uniform for V4, but need it for all your characters? 60 seconds in the fitting room and every character has access to every other characters wardrobe.

I can move hair, clothes, shoes, and skin textures between most of my figures.