Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Is Poser development dead?

aeilkema opened this issue on May 09, 2018 · 270 posts

ssgbryan posted Wed, 20 June 2018 at 1:20 PM

I may be the only one at ‘Rosity that values the tools, but then I also moved beyond rank beginner too.

It isn’t contradictory to point out to a vendor making a product for Dawn (a figure that in Poser only runs in Version 9 [now 10]) that following a Poser 6 workflow and materials isn’t actually a selling point. Her response? “I don’t have time to learn Poser 9.” I’ll let you guess how well that product sold.

In 2018, I calculate how much work I have to do to make a product Poser 9 compatible before I buy it. The more work I have to do, the cheaper it has to be. Let the Luddites work the conversion utilities.

Figures are just one part of it.

BTW, I said IF you want to use a legacy figure, not that one HAD to. If you want to use a legacy figure, Poser has tools available to update it. (My Legacy figures are mostly weight-mapped, take advantage of subdivision when necessary, and I am adding facial and body chips to them, just like Paul & Pauline. The V4 from 2007 is vastly different than an upgraded version in 2018.) If you want to use a DAZ golum in Poser, tools are available so you can. If you want to import characters from games, Poser has that FBX tool to import and export it.

All of these features came about due to vendor intransigence. So, in one sense, I am thankful - if it wasn’t for their hellbent rejection of any figure not named V4, we probably wouldn’t have gotten those tools.

If Vendors only want to make content for M4/V4, I don’t care - I have Poser Pro 11. Everything is interchangeable - clothing, hair, shoes, even skin textures. I prefer new content, IF it is better that what has come before, but if it isn’t, I don’t buy it. My V4 clothing runtime alone is approaching 100Gb, but unlike a g8 runtime, it isn’t full of 500+Mb bikinis.

Poser is about leveraging what you own, not constantly purchasing the same products over and over.

If you had been perusing the SM forums, you would know from the folks that made the figures that they were always a last minute thing added to the product, SM marketing speak aside. Speaking of figures.....

Define “attractive”. I don’t care what the base mesh looks like - it is the base mesh, nothing more.

I don’t consider ANY of the g figures attractive. With their freak show proportions, heights, and most “Non-Caucasians” characters Aryanized, I find them to be creepy. They are vastly limited in both character content and clothing content (by several orders of magnitude, even after all this time).

I have a lot of attractive characters for almost all of my figures (Sorry Rikishi).

But then, I don’t limit myself to a single mesh. Nor do I limit myself to single image pinup art.

I tell stories. My stories have lots of people, all ages, races, and genders. That is impossible if one restricts themselves to one mesh.

For example - in my Star Trek (TOS) stories, so far, I have over 150 reoccurring characters (I’ll reach four figures before I am done) - good luck doing that with only 1 mesh.

I don’t have ships full of 6 foot 20-somethings Caucasians running it. Not to mention that they don’t all look like they are very closely related to each other.

Vickys (1-6), intermingle with Jessi, and Antonia. Vincent Parkers are dating Miki (1-4), while Mariko is wondering what she has to do to get Simon to notice her. My aliens are mostly genesis 1 figures and my minors are a mix of Luke, Laura, Julie, Justin, Josie, Jayden, and poor Brodie. All of them wearing clothing, hair, shoes, and in some cases, skin textures, that were never made for for them.

Poser 1 was designed for single image stills. That doesn’t mean we have to stay there 25 years later.