Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Is Poser development dead?

aeilkema opened this issue on May 09, 2018 ยท 270 posts

wolf359 posted Mon, 16 July 2018 at 1:45 PM

I just don't get this myopic focus on characters as somehow the One True Yardstick by which all software should be measured.

It is not a mypoic focus on Characters in general but on

one type of "Character". Specifically Attractive, Early twenties ,Ideal BMI ,White girls.

Lets be brutally honest, neither Daz or poser or arguably even Iclone Pro ,offer any compelling

features as a general 3D/CG application to the 3D/CG generalist if you remove the base Characters from the equation.

IMHO everyone who Downloads the Free Daz studio Software does so because of the High quality genesis models even if those CG artists who ultimately will not be using them in Daz studio and exporting to Maya ,Max etc.

No one who only models and renders non organic s ,like Cars and buildings and Product /Arch vis stuff, is going to use Daz studio and import their meshes to render with the Slow ,Dumb brute force path tracer NVIDIA Iray.

There are much better stand alone rendering options for those Artists.

The same can be said of Poser if we are being honest neither program has any useful tools for a professional modelor or VFX artist.

Iclone's strength is in its ability to import your Maya ,MAX ,Lightwave,C4D etc Character rigs ( as FBX) or even your POSER people's BVH skeletons.

And easily apply complex human IK Motion to them and export the motion data back to your native application as FBX or BVH. An affordable alternative to the mighty Autodesk Motionbuilder without the monthly subscription nonsense.

However even Reallusion understands the reality that this powerful option is not enough to remain competitive today and now ships every version of Iclone with a free stand alone "Character creator" program for creating your own custom Iclone realtime animation avatars.

And when I launch My Character creator program the default Scene that loads is ....Surprise!! An early twenties, Ideal BMI White girl. (see pic)

Not complaining mind you, merely acknowledging the reality of the market. Screen Shot 07-16-18 at 02.26 PM.PNG

My website

YouTube Channel