Forum: DAZ|Studio

Subject: Is there a tool to install Renderosity products in Content Folder?

Vorlath opened this issue on Jun 07, 2017 ยท 19 posts

perpetualrevision posted Wed, 18 July 2018 at 3:29 PM

Howy2012 posted at 2:19PM Wed, 18 July 2018 - #4308816

I'd love to see something like that for the Mac.

Merging files manually is slow and if you make one tiny mistake, it wipes out everything with no option to undo. I know from recent experience. I guess I didn't hold down the ALT key long enough and it overwrote Data, People and Runtime.

Now I have to reinstall everything non-Daz store manually and that is going to take forever.

Gods forbid I make another mistake, or I will have to then start all over again.

Some day I'll write up a full tutorial on this, but for now this tip should be helpful to Mac users:

If you download and extract the zip file on a USB thumb drive or other external drive, you will get the option to "merge folders" (if applicable) when you copy a product's subfolders into the relevant folders in your Poser runtime. That way you don't have to remember to hold down any keys, nor do you have to copy items at the subfolder level.

For example, let's say I just got a new product by Cybertenko (and I already have several of his installed). From the unzipped download file (which is on a thumb drive), I would just choose the Cybertenko folder in Geometries and drag it to the Geometries folder on my internal drive. I'll get the option to "merge," and all new folders and sub-folders will be merged with the existing ones, with nothing deleted. Same with the Textures folder.

My Poser library is so heavily customized/organized that no automatic installer would ever suit my needs, and I also like to know exactly what I'm installing, so I do it manually. But I have a system worked out that makes it fast and fairly painless. The key (at least for Mac users) is to install content from an external drive, not from the same drive that holds your Poser runtime.

TOOLS: MacBook Pro; Poser Pro 11; Cheetah3D; Photoshop CC

FIGURES: S-16 (improved V4 by Karina), M4, K4, Mavka, Toons, and Nursoda's people

GOALS: Stylized and non-photorealistic renders in various fantasy styles