Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Is Poser development dead?

aeilkema opened this issue on May 09, 2018 ยท 270 posts

Penguinisto posted Fri, 17 August 2018 at 4:48 PM

I can grok that... commercial artwork (as in, you end up doing the entire workflow and it's not broken up amongst a team), is going to be heavily reliant on postwork, so P-Shop would be, de rigeur,the tool to know inside and out.

...and don't worry - most of us who have been around for a few years have megatons of stuff that we saw a use for at one time, and kept around for some goofball reason or other (or in most cases, for no real reason at all outside of laziness.) My laptop has 97GB of Poser and DS stuff in it still, spread across various 'runtimes', and prolly an additional 120GB of cold-storage runtime bits in backup and external disk that I can't be arsed to stuff onto the laptop proper.

But... I'm not exactly a new user (I think we both showed up here around the same time.) Most of the folks left here are a bit long in the tooth. A lot of the folks on the Poser-centric Facebook pages are just as old-school, if not older... we're talking "hey look at this new thing they just made for Posette! It has movement options! Isn't that awesome!?" old-school.

Therein lies the rub, truth be told. Poser needs new blood. Desperately. I suspect it still gets some newbies showing up, but it's likely a trickle compared to the salad days of 2000 - 2009 or so. Hell, the Poser community is losing members by way of death at a growing rate these days (only half-joking about that - I almost bit the big one myself two years ago... and all I got from the experience was a shiny titanium spring sitting in my Left Anterior Descending artery, keeping my sorry ass alive.)

But, that's the biggest thing - it ain't necessarily new features or gee-whiz, nor is it some retina-popping SlutMatic 3000 female mesh (with a lip-sync animation capable vagina!) No... it's the fundamentals: A long-term vision (Dear SM PHB's: not "next quarter", but "5 years from now"). A reworked architecture that can be at least partially future-proofed for changes in architecture, OS, and customer demands. A more outgoing and recruitment-friendly attitude and team that captures and keeps content vendors. An API and software construction that is more friendly to those same folks. A UX that doesn't scare the unholy crap out of newbies with a steep learning curve. Branching out a little and making the thing work on Ubuntu (without spending a zillion hours dorking in WINE or putting up with a massive performance hit.)

I know some of that is nearly impossible, but at least trying would help...