Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Should we Mac Poser users switch to PC?

jerr3d opened this issue on Oct 13, 2001 ยท 57 posts

Ghostofmacbeth posted Wed, 17 October 2001 at 2:28 PM

"Maybe we have a different idea of 'recently'? I am not trying to be a smart ass. Adobe has licenced it's fonts abilities to the Windows platform in the form of ATM (Adobe Type Manager) for at least the last 6 years that I know of (I ran it on Windows 95). Thus, the PC has had the ability to use Postscript fonts for quite a while now. Am I missing something? It is true that some houses still charge more for PC output - but that is only if you hand them the files in the native format of the software. it has been my experience and that of my clients that if you turn a properly formatted and pre-flighted EPS or PS file to a printer they don't have any interest in the platform/software that generated it - nor should they." I am not sure what the ATM has to do with the actual fonts in question. I am also sick as a dog right now so I am not thinking the clearest to understand, but ATM is a processing tool for fonts. They are not the fonts in question. Adobe Helvetica, Adobe Garamond etc. Actual fonts with names that correspond to actual printing industry fonts. That is why there is Arial. It is the PC version of helvetica since they couldn't get the license to use a real version since the font houses only wanted postscript capable fonts. There may be better capabilities and you can Postsript to PC's now but I don't think they have access to the thousands of printer/postscript fonts out there. I may be wrong or outdated though but I do know that most PC files I get at work are screen only and we have to convert them. Take care