Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: How do I make characters furry?

Fracture opened this issue on Oct 18, 2001 ยท 25 posts

wiz posted Thu, 18 October 2001 at 1:25 PM

ScottA, "good" hairy figures cost a small fortune in processor time and memory. To do it "right", so the hair casts shadows, you see through parts of it, it can move, etc. means that each "hair" has to be an object. Last "fur" experiment I ran used 40 polygons per strand of fur. (I define "fur" as fairly straight, sticky-outy hair). It took about 50,000 of them to get realistic looking fur. So 2 million polygons. That taxes even my 1.5 gigs of RAM system. There are techniques that can cut this down substantially. I've played with "meta hairs" where each 40 polygon object has 20 hairs texmapped onto it. This can cut the fur down to 5,000 metas, only using 200,000 polygons, about the same as the figure I'm trying to fur. Looking at a way of doing something more like koziburo's hair, having a program that can (once it figures out which way the figure is facing) generate arbitraty "sheets" of fur, so we can stack say 50 layers of hair on a figure. where each layer may be a 200 polygon object, getting hair down into the 10,000 poly range.