Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Questions for clothing designers for weight mapped figures

an0malaus opened this issue on Jul 01, 2019 · 42 posts

AmbientShade posted Mon, 01 July 2019 at 4:32 PM

I've been made painfully aware of the limitations of all of the rigging methods available in the Poser and DAZ environments, to the point where I've abandoned any desire to have Poser incorporate Dual Quaternion support. None of them suffice, without augmentation, to represent exactly what human skin and muscle does when bent over bones. So, we compromise, until constant muscle volume mesh deformation comes along (if ever), with new requirements and terrors for clothing figure creators.

"[Weta Digiigal's] Tissue takes the opposite approach, going from the inside out. Artists create a detailed skeleton, then layer on muscles, fascia, and fat. Then, as the character moves, Tissue calculates how this anatomy would move in the real world – and drives the skin deformation based on that. Animators still control the main movements, but the subtle skin motions happen automatically. Tissue has been used on every film since Avatar. In 2013, it won a Scientific/Technical Oscar."

The idea of having this tech in Poser (or a similar app) is pretty much a dream. But I doubt we'll ever see it available on a hobbyist level, unless some serious overhauling happens. For now we're stuck with jcms and weight maps.