Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Questions for clothing designers for weight mapped figures

an0malaus opened this issue on Jul 01, 2019 ยท 42 posts

shvrdavid posted Tue, 02 July 2019 at 12:29 PM

Interesting Discussion here.

Why was there geometry in Antonia and V4 Weight mapped? Because if they were not, some of the functions didn't work right in Poser. Both of those figures were developed around the development of the weight system in place in Poser at present. IE, weight mapping was far from done in Poser when the figures were started. Mirroring and a few other things, for example, were still a work in progress. Antonia's helpers are added to the end of the geometry file, V4's calls in external on load. Things that were not completed in Poser were scripted to get around that as well. Many scripts were written just for that project, to get around limitations in the weight map system. Making those 2 figures exposed, and got a lot of things addressed in Posers weight map system as well. Some of the issues, were later addressed when PE was under development.

As far as making rigging in Poser that bends like we do. I wrote a muscle system that was easy to apply to figures, transfer to cloth, etc. Then an update to Poser trashed it so bad I have not touched it since.

Lots of people claim that they want a figure that can bend like we do. And it can be done in many programs. But once applied to a figure, simple is usually out the window. You can no longer just Pose a limb. You have to pose it, then tell the the muscle system what tension is on the muscles, etc. That was the reason I asked repeatedly for the console window of Bullet to be exposed. If that had been exposed, I could have made the tension thing basically automatic. No, the system wasn't incredibly fast, it lagged, etc. But it worked, for a while.... I came up with the idea of how to do from the Implicit rigging systems in Side effects Houdini and a few other 3D platforms.

I'm sure even if the system I came up with still worked and I released it, the general Poser users would not use it much. Not to mention it being ripped to shreds in the forums by the couch experts....

You can make figures that bend very well in Poser, in multiple ways. Sadly, history shows that even when someone does, users complain, then go on to support the next figure they will just basically abandon later. There are hundreds of examples of figures like that. Vendors say they will support it, users say they will support it, and then it fades into oblivion when another one comes out. Yes, there are people that continue to use a particular figure, we all know that. But many of the figures of the past get very little support from vendors because the figure faded into a niche market.

Some things are easy to explain, other things are not........ <- Store ->   <-Freebies->