Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Questions for clothing designers for weight mapped figures

an0malaus opened this issue on Jul 01, 2019 ยท 42 posts

shvrdavid posted Sat, 06 July 2019 at 2:18 AM

If you want to eliminate jcm's, you can. But you will end up with a lot of duplicate bones at as many axis offsets as you need to pull it off, usually with animated bulge maps as well. I played around with that and I got it to work, but transferring it to cloth is an exercise in futility if you go about it wrong in the base figure. I'm not sure of the best way to explain it to you. It isn't user friendly at all, but it does work. Many of the maps end up split up to multiple bones. Just imagine the forearm bend using 3 bones, one on axis (basically the normal bone in a traditional rig), two offset the same amount in opposite directions. Basically 33% weight in each map (it isn't always 33%, depends on the offset of the other two), the two outer bones are pulling it out opposite directions, which cancels that out, and then it follows the traditional bone. I'm probably not explaining that right, but what it does is give you 4 bulge maps that can do the 3rd dimension. The biggest hurdle with a system like that is getting the weights into another figure. It can do some really odd stuff when you do.

The rigging system in Poser is far better off using jcm's for realism than trying to pack it all into the base figure rigging for many reasons as well. Base rigging that mimics skeletal movement will usually need more support jcm's for full body morphs that traditional rigging, far more....

You don't always need all the jcm's in loose fitting clothes, but you will have to repaint the weight maps on many of the joints that you removed the jcms from. Sometimes you can eliminate ghost bones as well, depending on how they are setup in the first place.

A second skin transfer in Poser can be very hit and miss as well. Simply because even if it is the exact same geometry, Poser uses projection to copy the weights versus just using the same weight per vertex. It makes sense to just use projection, that way there is only one system involved, but the results can vary a bit as you have seen for yourself. The projection can do really odd stuff the the rigging I described earlier...

As far as getting Poser to copy all the weight maps, that can be hit or miss as well. One trick that sometimes works is to have every joint parameter not at zero, but slightly bent. IE .01. If you are using translations, do the same thing. Having the channels and bone map already inserted into the figure you are copying to, sometime helps. The missing maps issue was compounded when the bone map thing was added to the file save, so that could be the root of the problem, dunno thou. I have not really looked at it that closely thou.

Like I said in other posts, every rigging system has quarks. Poser is no acceptation to that either. It is a good rigging system, but it does have those limits and quarks that keep us scratching our heads, lol.

Some things are easy to explain, other things are not........ <- Store ->   <-Freebies->