Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Renderosity Acquires Poser Software

jennblake opened this issue on Jun 20, 2019 ยท 654 posts

Joe@HFG posted Tue, 16 July 2019 at 3:26 AM

Desktop Linux doesn't have a lot of mainstream adoption because developers won't support it. What Adobe is doing now, is what I predicted would happen. My signature actually came after I was attacked on here for claiming that Adobe had a monopoly. Later the person who attacked me was made a mod, rather disciplined.

There used to be a link to the message itself, but when they changed the forum software, the link was broken.

The number Linux desktops is increasing quickly now because of Steam's release of Proton is giving many PC only games the ability to run in Linux with very little performance loss. Proton is Direct X10/11 to Vulkan translation layer that also uses a lot of elements of WiINE.

Essentially, if the Mac version of Poser is Mojave complaint, there shouldn't be too much work to make a Linux version. I don't know if Poser 11 Pro makes specific use of nVidia Cuda. Either way, a Vulkan implementation would be very cross platform.One thing worth considering how niche Poser's market is. While Poser is considered a bit of a 3D toy, in the Win/Mac communities, a Linux version would have a novelty that would make it be taken far more seriously by a growing user base.

I would also consider an ARM version of Linux. With Raspberry Pi a many other SBC's coming down the pike, we could see traditional desktop PC's replaced by devices attached to 4KTV's. It would also ease in a transition to IOS or Android.

There way more volatility in the world of tech than there has been since the creation of Poser 1. I remember running the 68K version of Poser on my Amiga under a Mac emulator.

mo·nop·o·ly  [muh-nop-uh-lee]
noun, plural mo·nop·o·lies.
1. exclusive control of a commodity or service in a particular market,
or a control that makes possible the manipulation of prices