Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: What makes a good figure?

EClark1894 opened this issue on Jul 05, 2019 ยท 217 posts

Penguinisto posted Wed, 17 July 2019 at 5:43 PM

ssgbryan posted at 3:26PM Wed, 17 July 2019 - #4357247

That's a good idea Penguinisto, but I don't see it happening.

'Rosity doesn't enforce their current standards for selling content here - I don't see them upping what few standards they have. Take materials (please). It has been a requirement to provide material .mc6s at 'Rosity for YEARS. And yet in July 2019, Poser vendors are still making content with .pz2s for materials and not a single .mc6 in sight. Almost every Poser Product released today (17 July 2019) comes with material .pz2s instead of .mc6s. Poser moved materials from the .pz2 format, first to Mt5 with Poser 5 and then to .mc6 (for POSER 6) - OVER A DECADE AGO.

Most do that because they're lazy and they want compatibility in one go. But then, nobody uses Poser 4 anymore, so, well...

(To be honest, when I open a Poser-built item in DS, the first thing I do is replace all the textures/materials with (usually purpose-built) shaders, to match the render engine (and keep render times down, avoid flat-looking post-conversion textures, etc). So yeah - they really should provide the .mc6 files.)

Someone here is upset that I am constantly on vendors - that person has never spent an afternoon batch converting (literally) thousands of .pz2 files to .mc6s or renaming over 200 files (per product) so Poser's search function would pick them up.

Kinda what I was getting at. Now imagine being a total n00b who has no clue about file conversions, writing batch scripts, etc...

Standards enforcement will require a level of attention to detail that no storefront is willing to do (It is a LOT worse with g figure content sold at DAZ - their stuff is nightmare inducing as far as organization or adherence to any type of standards, but that is also why it has to be at least 60% off before I buy it.).

Meh - they do have a set of standards, but they're largely unpublished and are sometimes capricious (a far cry from the old days, anyways - I chalk it up to their policies not scaling very well.)

As far as organization, so far, Renderotica's marketplace (that is, their "Catalog") is the only one I find usable enough IMHO... but only because they're still using the same layout and categorization that I suggested (then helped emplace) for them back in 2008 (yeah, I'm biased. Sue me). 2nd place would be ShareCG (stop laughing... the implementation isn't perfect, but the concept almost is.) I like a lot of what the miraheze.org freebie cataloging site was thinking too, but I know that no one has time to refine it much.

I do know that Rendo really does need to overhaul how it lays stuff out (and so does DAZ - they're both horrendous if you're just wanting to browse specific categories of items.)