Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Orion for Poser 11

AmbientShade opened this issue on Jun 20, 2019 ยท 342 posts

Morkonan posted Wed, 17 July 2019 at 7:41 PM

[AmbientShade]... So weight maps and anatomically correct geometry can get you pretty close, but jcms are still going to be required for extreme poses. They just aren't as much of a requirement as they used to be in older figures. In order to completely remove the dependency on jcms you would have to replace them with helper/ghost bones, which can be just as problematic when rigging clothing, sometimes moreso.

^--- This.

Though, I'm not as JCM-adverse as some when it comes down to ultimate rendering quality of a figure vs the work required to get it that way by the user. For me, the key there is "How heavy is it." The final processing/memory footprint can be important, especially considering that most users will be rendering it on the same PC they use for playing Solitaire/whatever, not a cloud farm. Getting completely past JCMs would require... something that does the same thing as JCMs. :)

Anyone who has ever created a human figure knows this one simple thing - The human shoulder is a marvel of ancient evolutionary design. I mean... what the heck? :) It is the most difficult to rig part of human anatomy. Nothing else comes close to be as hard as rigging a realistic shoulder joint that actually acts like one.

On that, I see you've emphasized the collar bones, somewhat isolating the neck and slope of the shoulders about halfway. (Shoulders are the first topo I look at on the body, after the face for basic human face topo skill in evidence.) What's the rigging there like? Do the collarbones pucker or "break" sometimes? I'd love to see their movement, if you have a posed pic.

On the face - Ah, the joy of "cheek stars." I hate those. :) V4 has 'em as well as some unfortunately placed diamonds, IIRC. But, overall, that mesh, as well as yours, is very nicely constructed for high-detail still rendering and morphing, too. The latter is always important as some people don't realize how valuable geometry forcing its own "control" during the character morphing process. With a good figure, nobody producing a character should have to wonder where they are, exactly, on a well constructed mesh. Nobody. Blob meshes are for quick animation and throw-away work or for game production, not for high-res still rendering.

It looks like a nice figure, so far. Any plans for a female or a female morph for this base mesh?

PS - Don't incorporate any gens in the base. It's a waste of effort. I'm sure you know that, but am ironically forced to mention it. Provide an accessory for that as humans sometimes wear pants. (Crazy, I know! :) )