Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Renderosity Acquires Poser Software

jennblake opened this issue on Jun 20, 2019 ยท 654 posts

LaurieA posted Fri, 19 July 2019 at 11:19 AM

Afrodite-Ohki posted at 12:17PM Fri, 19 July 2019 - #4357244

ProtocolZero posted at 4:01PM Wed, 17 July 2019 - #4357230

Right. Because the business-as-usual model has worked so well for Poser up to this point, hasn't it? How many times has Poser been sold now, how many disappointing releases have there been, and how many times have we heard "this could be the end of Poser"?

How many of those times the owners of Poser were a marketplace for products for Poser that has been going for years and years? Oh, right.

Blender and Linux are able to survive and even thrive as FOSS because of a dedicated and enthusiastic community of developers, users, and backers, and I see no reason why Poser wouldn't be able to do the same. Imagine a community with access to the code and the things they would be able to do with it -- features you've wanted to add to Poser for years and now suddenly you could, or things that you've begged them to fix and yet they carry over from version to version.

I imagine a hot mess with this. Imagine the amount of content buyers going confused because a product can't possibly support all the addons and versions of Poser that would come from that.

Blender is made for content creators. It requires someone who's tech-savvy. Poser's model is content-library based, meaning that the bulk of users will be people who only know how to load library content, maybe adjust the poses a bit.

As it stands right now, Bondware/Renderosity are simply the latest buyer to acquire Poser, keeping it alive long enough to release yet another disappointing version that sees the user base shrink even further.

Well, I'll just be here glad that I haven't reached a point to be so pessimistic about everything. I highly doubt Renderosity would give us yet another disappointing version - specially seeing as they're composed of a bunch of people who does use Poser (or used to, at the very least).

In any case, yes, the article that Glitterati linked to. It very much seems to me that they got their heads in the right place.

I actually agree that Poser is the wrong sort of program to go open source. Because of the reasons that Afrodite already mentioned and because I just don't think it has the following to generate developer support. We're pretty niche as software goes....on the surface the amount of users may look like a lot, but when compared to juggernauts like Blender we're a drop in the ocean.

I also have to agree with her about Linux. Personally, I love Linux. I use it a lot. But, it's not for the novice. There are things that can go wrong with it - things that YOU have to fix. Granted, there is lots of info on the web about how to fix this and that, but command line stuff scares a lot of folks, not to mention the fact that a majority of computer users just don't use it. I would LOVE to see all the software I use have a Linux version. It's my dream so that I can tell Microcrap to shove their OS, but one has to be realistic. We're just not there yet. Until Linux is as easy as Windows/IOS there won't be widespread adoption, which, when you think about it, might defeat the entire purpose of Linux. The less you have to do to it, the less you can do WITH it, which is one of Linux' strengths in my mind.

Laurie