Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Fiber Eyebrows and Movement

somnulus opened this issue on Jul 15, 2019 ยท 26 posts

an0malaus posted Sat, 20 July 2019 at 8:37 AM

somnulus posted at 3:47PM Sat, 20 July 2019 - #4357471

So taking all the feedback into consideration, I saved out a separate scene, deleted my imported fiber eyebrows, and started over again in the hair room.

Right now, I have some eyebrows that I am fairly happy with.

The only issue is that there is no taper to the shape of them at all. The fibers were grown directly from the model polygons and thus, the eyebrow shape is rather blocky.

Is there a method I can use to create taper, i.e., in my preferred modeling program I could use a weight map to control the length and volume of the fibers, or even visibility if desired.

Is there any method similar to that to control fibers in Poser Pro?

Thanks for all of the advice!!

Each of the dynamic hair props will take textures based on the UV mapping of the underlying figure. For eyebrows, you could apply a version of the eyebrow transparency map which is normally applied to the base figure. You'll want to adjust the transparency texture so that it doesn't define individual hair strands, but just the area where you want the dynamic hairs to be visible.

As TonyVilters describes, growing hair directly on the base figure modifies the figure's mesh (apart from the vertex duplication at actor seams) by adding facets to a Hair group, on which the hair strands are grown. Also as you've discovered, this leaves blocky outlines of the hair following the hair facet boundaries. The transparency maps can override this and give you the brow outline you want.

I have been using a second skin figure to grow fur on (as in the first image in my previous post). Since I use a modular system based on the DAZ (V4's creators) system allowing expansion morph packs to be added and loaded onto an empty figure. The upside of this is that any morph changes or additions made propagate to every new figure of that type loaded from the library. However, that causes conflict when I want the figure I've grown hair on to remain based on the original mesh obj file, rather than a newly saved one. The solution I came up with was a script which identifies every actor on the figure on which dynamic hair has been grown (they have a Hair material group) and saving out that actor's unmorphed geometry to a new obj file. To load a figure with hair, I then need the CR2 figure definition file to refer to the original body part group for each actor without hair (no change to them), and the newly saved, individual, hair group containing obj files for those actors with hair grown on them. So I end up with a new, hybrid figure, which still makes reference to the original figure obj file, but incorporates mesh with hair groups on the actors that need them.

The hair groups are absolutely mandatory. Without them, there is no automatic linkage between the underlying figure's morphs and the dynamic hair strands, so the hair won't follow the figure's morphed shape.

If you start with an eyebrow transparency supplied with the figure, you might be able to derive a mask by using a Gain math node set to 1.0 or thereabouts, as a way of eliminating individual hair strands from the transmap and filling them in. You may find it easier to just modify a copy of the transmap in a paint program and fill in the outline of the brows. (The eyes, nose, lips, ears and feet on the Tiger Girl image all have transparency mapping to smooth the outline of the dynamic hair growth groups.

Please let us know how you get on. :-D

My ShareCG Stuff

Verbosity: Profusely promulgating Graham's number epics of complete and utter verbiage by the metric monkey barrel.