Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: New Poser Wishlist

EClark1894 opened this issue on Jul 07, 2019 ยท 589 posts

Glitterati3D posted Tue, 23 July 2019 at 4:27 PM

EClark1894 posted at 5:26PM Tue, 23 July 2019 - #4357855

Afrodite-Ohki posted at 3:50PM Tue, 23 July 2019 - #4357850

Penguinisto posted at 3:21PM Tue, 23 July 2019 - #4357779

"First, Renderosity has to see what they have... They need to sit down around a conference table and develop a strategy for first examining their product. All portions of their product, from each Room and process that product performs. EVERY BIT OF IT. That is the only way anyone can sensibly create a plan to exploit the profit potential of a product. This is also a moot point and is not debatable. Anyone who says that is not an appropriate process is wrong."

Code review is going to be the absolute first thing that happens - only a flaming moron would skip this step.

Thing is, I don't know how many of Poser's previous dev team got hired by Bondware/Rendo, if I'm reading that whole Poser-team-getting-sacked thing correctly. Without the tribal knowledge, all the documentation on the planet isn't going to make up for the fact that a whole lot went missing when the last dev walked out the door.

It's a good thing in some aspects, because it lets the new team look everything over with fresh eyes. It's a bad thing in others, because there are always going to be gotchas in there that you're not going to anticipate until you start doing a few initial builds and start testing it out. Rendo is going to have to hire some top-notch devs - people who can really tear into the codebase and know what's going on in there.

Note to all - this is going to take time, so get comfortable. Just to get to a point where you can compile and actually know what's going on when you do will take months if they're lucky and hire/keep some of the old dev team into their fold, around a year or more if not, because you're gonna have newbies who need to get familiar with that beast. Then, the updates... patching bugs and security issues. Bringing third-party components (coughpythoncough) up to date. Keeping up with bugaboos that arise in the interim. Refactoring where you can, if you can (where safe to do so). De-spaghettifying, making maintainable, and streamlining when/where you can, because you're not ever again going to get a better opportunity to do it. Make sure the results line up with any/all feature additions and roadmaps that the PTB have set.

Then, and only then, will they even think of tackling even the lowest-hanging fruit in the massive laundry/wish list of stuff that's been tendered in this thread.

I guess what I'm saying is, give 'em time to clean up the messes and figure out how to properly ride that tiger first... before you start demanding they put $type of saddle and tack on it.

I sure hope this is how they'll go about it. It won't please the crowd that wants shinies, but I'd rather have a new version that just makes the build of the program more stable and capable of future new tech, or to take longer for us to see a new version because it's getting this done and THEN adding new stuff, than having new stuff quick and keep the program instable and with an old core.

It actually depends. Mind you, I'm not privvy to any information that any of you don't have, but Rendo may want to put out a new version, or beta version, as quickly as POSSIBLE in order to rebrand Poser under the Renderosity/Bondware brand name.

Sorry, but that's just not going to happen. You get one chance to make a first impression and Renderosity knows better than to release a buggy, untested piece of software as their first step as Poser owners.