Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: What makes a good figure?

EClark1894 opened this issue on Jul 05, 2019 ยท 217 posts

Morkonan posted Tue, 23 July 2019 at 6:05 PM

Glitterati3D posted at 5:37PM Tue, 23 July 2019 - #4357686

If you had any real knowledge of the marketplace, as you so pompously announce in every long, drawn out post you would know that the information you want posted on a public message board is protected by NDA.

In case you hadn't noticed, this entire thread now consists of 3 of you, with absolutely no first hand knowledge of the marketplace, bloviating about what this market needs. None of which have any skin in the game with products in the store and first hand experience.

I don't want to argue with you and don't know why you're so hostile. If you think I'm wrong, just point out what exactly you think I am wrong about without jumping up with sharpened sticks and trying to impale me with insults. Did I run over your cat in a prior lifetime or something?

I wanted to know what YOU thought about your sales experience and what YOU thought were the factors that made a meaningful difference. I have no concern about any argument you may have been having with anyone else, just the fact that you seem to have noticed some marked difference. I wasn't asking for numbers or specifics, just your opinion. If your opinion is covered by an NDA, I think such a document would be a bit too strongly worded for my tastes.

As for my experience, I've had plenty in other marketplaces. This is not a topic only for Renderosity vendors.

How many times has this thread topic come up over the years? And, the same general things keep on being stated, over and over, but there's no magical ultimate success? It's always the same list of "wants" and then the same claims of "this figure that just got released does all that, so what's your problem."

For the first time, Poser has direct marketing support through a "Major Distributor." You might know about selling your product to Poser users. That's fine. But, I also have knowledge as well and part of that includes how general business and marketing practices work. One reason that third-party figures have not been successful is because they didn't have any front-end support from a good high-profile marketplace with a large somewhat-captive audience. Figures that may be considered successful, and I would assume this would be some of the more eclectic, non-generic-human, sorts of comic/cute figures, would probably had a focused appeal and took advantage of a need that was going unfulfilled. (I am unsure what vendors consider "successful." That standard certainly changes from product to product, it seems.)

I only wrote another small paragraph, but decided to cut it. It's just not worth the effort it would take to get the point across. This thread, yet another "what do you want in a figure" thread, that never ends and resurrects itself every year, will continue on with all the same things in it. And, why? Because people think that doing the same thing over and over will eventually cause some sort of magical success.

There is only one thing that matters right now - Poser has the front-end support of a high-profile distributor. It has not had such support since the disastrous breakup of the marriage of Poser and DAZ. If you can't see how important that is, then I have to point out you haven't been paying attention to things that you should, as a vendor, have been paying attention to.

But, while I do like and wish all good things for Renderosity, they're not a 3D software developer (Bondware does web apps) and their own marketplace evidences a dire need for better and more professional management. While I am hopeful, I am not confident.