Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: What makes a good figure?

EClark1894 opened this issue on Jul 05, 2019 ยท 217 posts

AmbientShade posted Wed, 24 July 2019 at 2:13 AM

Penguinisto posted at 3:06AM Wed, 24 July 2019 - #4357872

Keep it through multiple versions. Nurture it as time passes, and be sure to include backwards compatibility as you make changes.

This I agree with you on. And I (and others) have been saying this since at least Poser 9/2012. It can still be done and Poser has an entire family of legacy figures that could be incorporated into a new generation. But for whatever reason SM just didn't seem interested in it. Apparently they thought it was better to introduce a new figure with an entirely new mesh with each new version of Poser they released - the only exception being Alyson and Ryan were carried over from P8 to P9. Mesh design takes a massive chunk of time, and when that time is already limited by release deadlines, trying to design a new mesh instead of refining an already existing mesh is absolutely a waste of time that could have been spent on improving the rig, building new content for the figure, etc. But I guess they didn't see it that way. So we got Rex and Roxie, then Paul and Pauline... All characters that could have been new shapes for an existing mesh instead of individual meshes with their own rigs and UVs incompatible with each other.