Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: What makes a good figure?

EClark1894 opened this issue on Jul 05, 2019 ยท 217 posts

Penguinisto posted Sat, 27 July 2019 at 11:26 AM

AmbientShade posted at 9:06AM Sat, 27 July 2019 - #4358127

Morkonan posted at 4:02AM Sat, 27 July 2019 - #4358115

Sweet! A "Delorean" automobile! It looks very nicely done, too, and there are also a couple of companion products for it. Hey, there's a "Game Development License" so I can license a real Delorean car for my game! I am sure that the original IP owners who actually own the Delorean Trademark that is so prominently presented on the front grill of that product would be thrilled that someone else is selling their Trademarked IP for them... Searching to see where the seller obtained legal license to sell a third-party wholly owned Trademarked and probably conditionally copyrighted name did not bear any fruit. IF legal license has been obtained, then I apologize for the mistaken assumption. If not.. then Renderosity has invited a lawsuit into their office to sit down and talk about "punative damages" in front of a judge...

I mean if you want to get technical about it I could link to a few products on Daz's site that are also blatant violations of IPs that I've noticed over the years - a couple of them by very well established content artists in the community. Thing is every 3D content market struggles with this sort of thing. It's impossible for any of them to know the licensing rights of every single model or product posted to their site, which is why most of them have a process in place for when you find questionable content.

You're both correct. Both sites (and numerous others) have vendors who have blown off trademarks, design patents(!), and suchlike.

To DAZ' credit, they do have a stated policy against copyright and trademark infringement: https://www.daz3d.com/terms-of-service

They also receive and act on trademark infringement complaints with the same process as they would when handling DMCA complaints, but that comes with a big, fat caveat: The property owner has to make the formal complaint, and submit a statement (under penalty of perjury) that the infringing product is theirs. This process description is largely from memory, but it makes sense, since this process is typical for any large tech company that acts as an intermediary/platform for others' works.

Not sure if Rendo has a listed policy (it'll take awhile to find if it exists, methinks - they need to make their policy more prominent and easier to find), but I think they would handle it the same way? They put the onus on the vendor to secure those rights for a few good reasons, legal liability being chief among them. I bet if you upload a product for sale, you have to agree to that as well. ;)

This does bring up why whatever figure(s) become default need to be built from scratch. The reason that old Renda figure was quietly pulled from the marketplace not long after it was launched was because it grafted the feet (and hands?) from the original Poser 4 female figure (Posette). Problem with that was, the mesh was licensed from DAZ, and the rights were non-transferable, and the gent(s) who made Renda had no idea.

I remember writing a how-to/FAQ for copyright and IP protections a very long time ago. Got laughed at over it in PoserPros because it was too strict (it was pretty strict, but for good reasons). Then a few months later, the site owners got caught up in a copyright kerfuffle with one of their products, causing the site itself to crash (DAZ bought it to rescue the other products and audience/info.) I'll have to scour the old hard drives for it, to see if it still exists somewhere...

But, to tie it to the topic, yeah - the figures need to be clean in the intellectual property sense too. 🔢