Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Folks, as a French Canadian...

SeanMartin opened this issue on Aug 14, 2019 ยท 22 posts

an0malaus posted Fri, 16 August 2019 at 6:43 AM

This raises a point I'd like people's opinion on. Are we really stuck with so many prohibited characters in file names these days? As far as current operating systems go, and support for, at the very least, European languages with diacritical marks on characters, why are there still prohibitions on certain characters? Apart from the obvious ones like path separators (/:), drive letter and extension delimiters (:.) across the OSs Poser supports (perhaps Linux, too, in a century or three), why do we still have archaic restrictions like 32 character file names, when the underlying operating systems no longer have such limits.

Where does an apostrophe or double-quotes fall down in file name conventions? All of the net programming languages like JSON and HTML have means of escaping delimiters or translating them into byte-code notation, like %20 for a space. The worst trouble I have with single apostrophes is that my text editor of choice, BBEdit doesn't have a simple way of identifying parts of the Poser syntax which might contain a file name (if it's not delimited, as is common in poser scene files) that contains an unbalanced apostrophe as part of a file name, which it then assumes is the start of a string, thowing the syntax colouring out of whack. Poser itself has no such problem saving or loading a file which contains an unbalanced apostrophe as part of a file name.

Maybe it's a problem as part of the name of an actor or figure? A way around that might be to use another character which displays as an apostrophe, but has a different ASCII or UTF code, so doesn't identify as an apostrophe.

Thoughts???

My ShareCG Stuff

Verbosity: Profusely promulgating Graham's number epics of complete and utter verbiage by the metric monkey barrel.