Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Poser Pro 11.2 Update Questions

erogenesis opened this issue on Sep 16, 2019 ยท 107 posts

samsiahaija posted Wed, 18 September 2019 at 12:22 PM

Penguinisto posted at 12:17PM Wed, 18 September 2019 - #4362420

samsiahaija posted at 9:20AM Wed, 18 September 2019 - #4362237

And forcing people to update is not a nice business strategy.....

Well...

Let's look at this from another angle: Microsoft no longer supports a lot of the stuff they used to which required remote DRM (for example, if you still have a Zune full of MSFT Store-purchased tunes, or a Sidekick that still worked and had your text history on it, I'd be genuinely surprised.) They stopped supporting Windows 8 awhile back (though if you shelled out a zillion ducats for an Enterprise License Agreement with them, you get some support for it until July 2020)... and don't even ask about Windows 7, Vista, or XP.

I'm not known for Poser apologia, but let's be fair: Rendo/Bondware didn't make or sell anything older than Poser 11, nor (IMHO) should it be responsible (evne on an ethical level) for anything beyond providing perma-licensing patches where reasonable (or a patch to just remove the stupid DRM on the older stuff), and maybe provide any urgent/critical security patches for perhaps one version back or so.

If the software is more than 2-3 years old, nobody owes you anything, unfortunately.

I have Poser 11 Standard. Quite current. No less current than 11 Pro. The same installers as Poser 11 Pro, only with some functionality switched off. I'd consider it odd when they pull the plug. Even my Poser 7, 6, 5 and 4 are still running. Anyway, I'm low on money. I'd have to save until Christmas to afford the upgrade to Pro and spend nothing on content for that period. I'd have to reconsider if that's the way to go.