Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Poser 11.2 - Upgrade or not?

wheatpenny opened this issue on Sep 17, 2019 ยท 238 posts

DCArt posted Thu, 19 September 2019 at 1:42 PM

I would have preferred to leave the old install but it forced me to uninstall it in order to go ahead even though I was installing to a new directory.

If Poser 11 detects a previous version installed it will prompt you to uninstall it. It has always worked this way.

It wants to put your Runtime in your Users folder on C: no matter what you do.

During setup, you will encounter a number of screens. This screen asks you where you want to install the new Poser installation. By default it should install to c:Program Files| Poser SoftwarePoser 11

2019-09-19_14-14-59.png

The components screen checks the Application Support Files automatically. These support files install the Poser reference manual, the face room files, and other support files (I can't remember if Kinect Capture files are also included in this, or in the main installer).

2019-09-19_14-19-55.png

The screen shown below is the one you will be most interested in. This is where you specify the folder into which the Runtime folders will be installed. For this, choose the radio button under "Other Location."

2019-09-19_14-20-06.png

For example, I usually just select my D drive. The installer automatically appends a folder named "Poser 11 Content" to whatever location you select, and then the Runtime folders are installed beneath that.

2019-09-19_14-20-20.png

If you want to choose a location where your Poser content is already installed, select the folder DIRECTLY above the folder named RUNTIME. For example, if you have your content installed in D:/My Poser Content/ Runtime .... choose the My Poser Content folder.

After you choose your folder, go back to the Select Custom Content Location screen. Make note that Poser will automatically add the "Poser 11 Content" folder to whatever you select. So if you do want to overwrite files in your previous location you will have to backspace to remove the "Poser 11 Content" text in the file path.

2019-09-19_14-20-27.png

The other alternative is to install the new Poser content into a different runtime, and then add your old runtime in as an external library.