Forum: Poser 11 / Poser Pro 11 OFFICIAL Technical

Subject: ideal Poser rig?

rainfrey opened this issue on Sep 25, 2019 ยท 24 posts

hornet3d posted Sun, 29 September 2019 at 3:20 PM

McGrandpa posted at 9:07PM Sun, 29 September 2019 - #4364779

I built the desktop I am on right now in 2008. Yeah, just over 11 years ago. I am flabberghasted that it's actually held up so long. Quite a tribute to Intel and Gigabyte and Patriot (RAM). the Base 3 are a Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L (rev. 1.0) LG775 motherboard, an Intel Q9550 "Core Duo" Quadcore CPU and 8 gigs of Patriot DDR2-800 SDRam. Everything else has been upgraded or otherwise replaced a few times since then. 4 PSU's have popped, leading me to go straight single rail 12V @ 750W PSU. Multi-rail actually makes no good sense at all from an Electricians POV.
I am sure I need at least a good Quadcore CPU with Hyper Threading. Be better if a 6 core HT. And I want maximum RAM. Like, 32 to 64 gigs. I have a fair little EVGA GT 740 OC 2 gig vid card. Can make do with that for a while yet. Now, Hard Disks. I am NOT going to continue using 'spinners'. Not after several years of flawless performance with FIVE SATA internal SSD's, from 460 gig (oldest) to 1 TB (newest 3) and a 500 Gig I tossed in for extra storage. The OS is, and will continue to be Win 7 Pro x64. I own it, I LIKE it, and that's that. 😀 Soo, any suggestions as to mobo/CPU/RAM combo?
TIA!

I have been using Gigabyte motherboards for close on twenty years, at least four of them are still working (from about 10 in all) and not one of the systems failed due to the motherboard. I have a two 500G SSDs for the main system I am currently onlu using spinners for the archival purposes. I also have five more 500G SSDs in external USB enclosures. The 250G and 500g SSDs on the system before are still running, now in it's sixth year. The only other spinners I have are two 4TB units in a NAS system.

Up until the latest system I always used Intel CPUs but this time I switched to AMD in the form of a Ryzen Threadipper 1950X CPU, giving me 16 cores and 32 threads. I am fairly certain a twin Xeon CPU system would beat it easily but for the sort of renders I do in Poser I am more than happy with the performance.

I use Poser 13 on Windows 11 - For Scene set up I use a Geekcom A5 -  Ryzen 9 5900HX, with 64 gig ram and 3 TB  storage, mini PC with final rendering done on normal sized desktop using an AMD Ryzen Threadipper 1950X CPU, Corsair Hydro H100i CPU cooler, 3XS EVGA GTX 1080i SC with 11g Ram, 4 X 16gig Corsair DDR4 Ram and a Corsair RM 100 PSU .   The desktop is in a remote location with rendering done via Queue Manager which gives me a clearer desktop and quieter computer room.